2.04.2010

fade to gray

my work and my home have an inverse relationship:
when work is going well, my home is suffering. 
when work is sparse, my home is thriving. 
nature of being a full-time-stay-at-home-mom/part-time-interior-designer i guess.
probably the primary cause of this relationship is that my job is also a greatly loved hobby of mine, so "work" to me is sometimes more like "play." {note the "sometimes."  i must stress the "sometimes."}

and, since i cant see ever giving up this work/play part of my life completely, i must continue to learn how to manage both work and home .  im learning.  slowly.  but thankfully surely.

and thankfully 2010 has brought new unexpected opportunities and some awesome clients.

one job im working on now includes a complete gutting-of-a kitchen renovation {among other things}.  im nailing down the plans right now and gathering inspiration.  the client is very feminine and loves pastels {check! i can work with that!}. 
probably one of the most thrilling things about this job is that she is incredibly open to whatever i suggest. {insert huge sigh of contentment}
this is one of those "sometimes" when my work becomes more like play
bring.it.on.

i am leaning towards light colors, feminine touches, grays, whites, and working with textures. 
i thought i would share with your some of my inspiration files for this project {you probably have seen many of these before}:


victoria hagan via thingsthatinspire









one of my favorite kitchens ever.  so clean and airy and WINDOWS.  I LOVE WINDOWS.
southern accents via cote de texas


oh and this one is another all-time favorite
yes those are windows behind the cabinets.
also via cotedetexas






now i know this kitchen below has seriously made the rounds in the blogosphere, but it is {simply put} gorgeous.  its timeless, but a nice departure from the ever-so-popular all white kitchens. 
i am really leaning towards this type of color combination for my client.  her house practically asks for it.  
{and fyi...i found out recently that the paint color on these cabinets is actually only a shade or two darker than the color of my office walls!  i guess when you like something, you really like something :)}




however when it comes to "feminine kitchens," as with anything i do believe you can go too far.
case in point:
no thankyouverymuch


what are your thoughts?
of course, ill keep you posted on the progress!


signature

8 comments:

  1. Wasn't that a feast for my eyes in a post!! :) I emailed Ashley, and that is where they went for their honeymoon! And in December?? Small world and a REALLY good memory you have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love every single one of them--except the last one! I like your new "combined" blog. Oh--and I feel the same way you do about my work. When I have a good work week, my house is a mess and I do not cook meals for the family. can't seem to find the balance either. It is hard when you have to cram EVERYTHING into a 2-hour nap window!
    Dana H.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That last one was not "yummy"!----but loved the other ones for someone wanting light colors---so many ways to decorate---like white plates on a table----lots of options for change!- with not too much effort.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yay! love the new blog header :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Come re-do my kitchen...and pay for it too :) You have awesome ideas, and I love all the natural light! I'll be in Mobile this weekend...maybe I'll see ya at some point!

    ReplyDelete
  6. so many beautiful kitchens! well, except maybe that last one is a tad much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all of them except for the last one. I will definitely use you whenever we have a kitchen project. You have great taste!

    ReplyDelete
  8. all beautiful!!!! i have a feeling i would be a tad indecisive at that occupation! too many fun options....

    and ill admit i like the new header too :)

    ReplyDelete

all materials published on this blog
© by Natalie at create.live.design, 2007-2012