1.29.2010

"big boy" bedrooms

its friday night and im blogging.
i am not ashamed
stephen took off the past couple days and weve been at the hunting camp for one last "hurrah".  now we are back, he is on call, and i am all kinda mixed up on what day it is.
so i blog:

we have been meaning {for quite some time now} to move bennett into a "big boy" bedroom.  i mean we really arent in any hurry to get him out of his crib - we have no pressing reason to do so and frankly i rather like that he cant wander the house at will.
its nice to keep the wild animals kids caged...

i thought i would move him when he turned two, but that never happened - as in we moved his playroom out of my office and into the empty back bedroom that was going to be his room.  and now we love having the playroom back there.  so, our new plans are to move bennett into the guest bedroom and technically not have one anymore {a guest bedroom}.  which i dont LOVE but seriously we never have guests - one of the perks to living in the same city as your parents/childhood friends. 

i have been hoarding fabric and ideas since last summer and really am eager to get this "big boy" bedroom rolling.
just because i think this stuff is fun :)
as you might {or might not} have read in previous posts, we inherited this massive pile of lumber called "the cargo furniture".  i pretty much was told it was what bennett would be using as his big boy bedroom suit the day bennett was born.  i dont have any qualms about this {hey - free furniture} and am actually excited for bennett bc there is this spark in stephens eye every time the beloved "cargo furniture" is mentioned.

aaaaannnnnddddd then one afternoon over the holidays stephen and his two brothers loaded up every last bit of it from his parents house and brought it over.  i heard about their happy, nostalgic treks down memory lane {as all three boys used this furniture at one time or another} and was excited to see this *magical* bit of furniture i {and our son} was inheriting.

i kid you not when i refer to it as
A PILE OF LUMBER.

no offense meant - but it could use a few coats of paint or some serious elbow grease and stain at the very LEAST.
its just a whole lotta WOOD.

  • TWO solid {and i mean S.O.L.I.D.} twin beds with large SOLID head boards and foot boards.  
  • dresser
  • desk
  • desk chair
  • nightstand
  • bookcase
  • ladder
  • SOLID
  • SOLID
  • SOLID
looks somewhat {if not exactly} like this when assembled:

except its darker

and its a WHOLE LOTTA WOOD.
that my husband and brother-in-laws {and probably my mother- and father-in law after they read this} have forbade me from painting white.

the plans are now to stain it OR even strip it and just have a light unfinished look {right now im leaning toward the latter}.
ok goodbye i will see you again sometime in 2012 bc man thats a  
WHOLE. LOTTA. WOOD.

i will keep you posted on our progress with "Project WLW" {...yea...whole lotta wood...}

but for now, a more peaceful array of inspiring boys rooms from my files {which are disturbingly few and far between in the online design world - why cant there be more "big boy room" inspiration out there?? i had to dig for these over the past couple years}


i swoon:

































as you can tell i like clean, related rooms that target the child's personality/likes/hobbies.
i am NOT, i repeat NOT a fan of "themes"
*yuck*
the only types of "themes" i can deal with are "schemes" like
"coastal"
or
color schemes
or
maps {i love maps...i could and probably will do a whole 'nother post on the great love affair that is natalie and maps...circa 1985}

i would love if you have any other great inspirational pictures or sources of little boy's "big boy" rooms.
we happen to be a big fan of them over here :)






signature

10 comments:

  1. I like big boy rooms #8 and #9. I really like the green beds in #8. It is boyish and could go well with a camo theme!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm struggling with the same thing. Big boy room options are majorly lacking! Yet my son continues to get more and more confident with his climbing skills, so our crib days are numbered I'm afraid. I'm really liking the Serena & Lily options- (not the price so much, though). And if Bennett likes to chunk his metal cars across the house like Wright does, I think a stripped, natural wood on the bed is pretty smart. You should see the number he's done on our white kitchen cabinets. Yowsers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. soo cute! this is why this is the BEST blog for me to read having a little boy. Tons of ideas, and tons of stories on what I have to look forward to. You sure there is not a reason Bennett needs to go to a big boy room? ;) jk. I love all those pics....can't wait to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There was a really cute decopauged (?) night stand at the antique store and I thought it was cool. My favorite boy room is from a Cottage Living from 2007 I think and it is a designer's house in Bham (no duh) and they have like 6 kids. The room is white with mostly white bedding maybe burlap bed skirt and at the bottom of the beds they have the duck camo pattern duvet. Really classy looking but still appealing to the boys. I'll search through my books and find it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If it makes you feel any better my 2 1/2 year old Mary Selwyn is still caged in. She loves her crib and prefers to sleep there. I tried to let her sleep in a big bed on a trial basis and she said, "no thanks mommy, I want to sleep in my crib." Fine by me. I like all those rooms. I love the green color on the walls in one. I think you have a lot of options. P.S. Erin is so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It may have been friday night, but look at all these comments and its only saturday morn! Haha I see what everyone else was doing on their friday night! Love those boy rooms. I like the one you swooned over-those navy and white blankets are delightful. I agree with stripping the cargo furniture and keeping it natural. Since its so....ginormous...I think the lighter the wood, the better. Bennett is going to have so much fun playing on it! Okay tata now since this comment is nearing beoming an essay

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband also grew up with this end up furniture and I have also been told this is what we will have in Grant's room one day. What can you do?! He also had bunk beds. Good Luck with the stripping! Unfortunately, we'll be having lug all of the WLW from North Carolina!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We just redid Moseley and Chambers "together" room. We also had hand me down furniture from our beach house. Two twin beds and THREE dressers. We put two in the closet b/c it was dresser overload. Oh and my brother's childhood desk and Nephews play table and chairs. I will try and blog about it so you can see. I am sure you could have taken what I did and made it a ton cuter but I just don't have your eye :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Luv "The Esthers" room with the two light green beds. So, when is the counterpart post coming with big girl inspirations? I still have at least a year to go, but it's never too soon to start getting ideas :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. for the bottom bunk (where the bed isn't... I think you said it was L-shaped), could you possibly hang up a fun striped fabric/curtain to make a little fort?? There is a great looking and really well priced striped option at Ikea right now. It is navy, light blue, cream and brown stripes (I think). I am sure you could find something similar elsewhere. The fort would not only be cute, but it would also make it seem like there was slightly less wood. Also, I agree with "rachel," the lighter the better.

    -Lucy
    (a friend of summer)

    ReplyDelete

all materials published on this blog
© by Natalie at create.live.design, 2007-2012