11.05.2008

Well Folks

Hydronephrosis it is. In his left kidney. Since before he was born, we have been toying with the term "hydronephrosis:" he never officially had it (his kidney's weren't dilated enough to call it that for REAL), but now it is official. His right kidney is perfect, but his left kidney is a little swollen and retaining fluid. Still about the same proportion as it was at 3 months, but not getting any better.
He has to go back in on December 10th for a different type of Xray that will examine the function of his kidney (these other tests have just given us a picture of his kidneys). They will inject a dye that will enter his system and they will record how his kidney functions for around 45 minutes or so. And he will have to be restrained during those 45 minutes.

Like tied up.

If any of you bloggers out there read Steece's Pieces, one of her quads had this same test done, as described HERE. Needless to say I am NOT looking forward to this. They are going to have to drug me. Or at least give B something to make him drowsy, but I fear they will not, just because I have never heard of them doing so.

Here is what our prayers are at this point:

  • That the test shows no blockage, meaning that the fluid retention is just one of B's quirks and, as his doctor says, "maybe he just has a really funny looking kidney."
  • That I don't fall over and pass out during the test from the intense pain it will cause me to see/hear Bennett be soooo very unhappy and I can't do anything about it.
  • That the test will be fast, easy, and with a wonderful outcome!!
  • Maybe for a miracle - that the fluid just goes away. That would be the best.

If they do find blockage, depending on the severity of it Bennett will have to have surgery to fix the point of blockage. Honestly, I am not even thinking about that at this point - I want to get through this test and just keep my prayers lifted that there won't even be any blockage to worry about!!!

Thanks everyone for all your kind words and prayers - I really do feel comforted that our baby will be well taken care of, no matter what the outcome, but it doesn't keep me from being seriously bummed out right now.

Good thing he isn't missing a beat...

(yea this would the place to insert a picture of my cutie, but alas the battery in my camera is charging right now)

stay tuned

11 comments:

  1. natalie,

    Everything is going to be ok. your fears and concerns are only natural and that just means you are a great mom. Thinking and praying for you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be praying for all of you. It is never easy seeing your son in pain or discomfort, let alone not being able to do anything about it. Hopefully, someone will go with you for moral support.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Natalie,
    I will be praying for you and sweet Bennett. Remember that this is no surprise to our God who "knitted Bennett perfectly together in your womb". He is still on His throne and He will provide your peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are praying, Natalie. Sweet buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh nat! SO SORRY!!!! i'm with you on hoping they will give B something to relax. I'd be getting pretty pushy about that if I were you. You are his number 1 advocate and I know that would help ALL of you. We will be praying big time!!!

    much love!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhh Bennett! We will continue praying for you and your mama (and daddy)! I know you will be just fine ... I think God just wanted you to be special and have a super-sized kidney. :) And who knows, your little cousin may join you on this journey ... we will see how his kidneys are doing in a few weeks!
    Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, so not fun news but... if it makes you feel any better... I have hydronephrosis in my right kidney. It's there just for fun... no problems with it so far and some say I am completely normal (no comments :)

    Also, sometimes, babies completely surprise you. Moseley had an MRI a few months back and my normally spastic child was strapped into a straight jacket for 45 minutes. He laid perfectly still. It was like God himself came down and tranquilized him. Also, he had his flu shot yesterday and just watched while the lady shot him full of stingy fluid. No tears or reacton whatsoever.

    So, I will pray that all of these things duplicate themselves for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Natalie,
    I will be praying for you & Bennett & know that everything is going to be okay. I can only imagine how you must feel as you wait for the upcoming tests. You are in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are praying for you little B!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey there! I stumbled across your blog the other day and just wanted to let you know that my little girl went through the same test a few months ago when she was 2 months old. Everything turned out just fine! :)It's a long test, and it's not fun watching your baby go through it, but they let me sit right beside her the whole time, and she actually ended up taking a nap! I will be praying for yall!

    thekeetonfamily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey there! I stumbled across your blog the other day and just wanted to let you know that my little girl went through the same test a few months ago when she was 2 months old. Everything turned out just fine! :)It's a long test, and it's not fun watching your baby go through it, but they let me sit right beside her the whole time, and she actually ended up taking a nap! I will be praying for yall!

    thekeetonfamily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

all materials published on this blog
© by Natalie at create.live.design, 2007-2012