2.05.2008

Reflux...or Colic???

Oh goodness....don't know where to begin. The Axid appeared to have worked marvelously Saturday and Sunday, with a few crying spats (normal) but overall happy, less spitting up, good sleeping, etc.

Yesterday and today were different stories, however. Yesterday was pretty much like the past few weeks, with a pattern of eating, crying, sleeping a little, eating, crying, etc. (but he still sleeps great at night? thank goodness). Today was a little different.

First things first, we decided to move Bennett's Pack and Play (i.e. his CRIB at this point) into his actual "nursery" (and I use the term nursersy loosely, since it is still not anywhere NEAR what I would categorize as the nursery I have dreamed up in my head...) in hopes of Stephen getting some much needed shut eye. It actually worked great! Bennett cried for abt ten to fifteen minutes or so, on and off, before falling asleep. Of course I watched it all on my monitor...praying for him to just fall asleep. I'll tell you - it is a lot easier to just let him cry for a minute when he isnt in the same room as you. It worked great though - he fell asleep, woke at 2:00am to eat, and then I had to wake him up at 6:30am for his morning feeding! I was very proud. Continuing with the story....

If you haven't heard, Mobile is the newest city to welcome Extreme Makeover Home Edition, and my mom is the Media liason for the homebuilders and, you guessed it, the media! Very exciting. Stephen and I went to the site to visit my mom this morning (Stephen was off work for Mardi Gras - his first day off since....um, New Years?!?!) with Bennett in tow. Bennett was an angel - since we know he loves being in his carseat, especially if that carseat is moving (in a car or even just being carried around). We got home around 12pm, and I fed him. Wellllll beginning right after he ate, Bennett proceeded to spit up and go through three bibs by the time my dad got to our house at 1:45pm (Doc babysat today while Stephen and I ventured out on our second outing - to the KOR Mardi Gras reception) - all the time screaming and crying his eyes out. Stephen tried everything he could - holding, cradling, burping, bouncy seat, swing, boppy pillow, tummy, back, etc - while I took a shower, but to no avail. Bennett would quiet for a good two minutes then just break out in more screams. Oh it is not a fun thing to hear.

We felt SO terrible leaving him when we did, in Doc's arms still screaming. What a wonderful Doc Bennett has....

We left the house at 2:15, and returned at 5:45. My mom was at the house with my dad when we returned home, and Bennett was asleep(!). However, it appeared he did not fall this way until about 30 minutes before we got home.....yikes!!

Since we have returned home, I have fed Bennett and he is sleeping peacefully on his daddy's chest. I just don't know what to think... all you bloggers....did any of you have colicky babies? I have been reading about colic and it seems that Bennett is falling into that category. I can't help but think that I could have prevented this, or have caused this, but I have to be realistic and accept that he just possibly is a colicky baby. Its so odd bc he eats great, sleeps wonderfully (at night!!!), is growing, loves to be held, etc. He just doesn't appear to like to be awake. He does have his good days, but they are falling to few and far between. I am going to call the nurse tomorrow and talk to her (....again.... poor things Im sure they are sick of hearing from me...crazy first time mom I am).

I am already planning on changing my diet a bit (this may be the easiest 'cure' to the colic - if that is what this is) - goodbye all caffeine, pepper, spicy foods, dairy, beans, green veggies - hello crackers, bread, turkey, sweet potatoes, zucchini, squash, and water (I have read these foods are "ok"). Some may think this is crazy, but if you have a baby cry about 5-6 hours a day, you will do whatever you can to possibly help him stop.

We seem to have a good, but unhappy baby on our hands. Meaning he is GREAT in public, and when people come and visit (how that works, I dont know), but generally not very happy during the day. Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcomed, but for now your prayers that Bennett does not have colic would mean the most! Thanks everyone! :)

PS. I hope this post doesn't sound too 'down and out' - bc really I still cant help but look at this baby and think he is an angel! :) Probably bc I am his momma....


5 comments:

  1. check out www.infantrefluxdisease.com for a great differentiation on colic & reflux. i've definitely experienced reflux with my sweet little girl. if the axid is working...great! if not, there are quite a few other options. don't feel bad about calling your pedi, that is what they are there for. i'll keep the 3 of you in my prayers...and if you every have any questions...send me an email!

    ReplyDelete
  2. gosh nat it sounds like you are doing everything you possibly can to help little B get comfortable. i'll be racking my brain and praying too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When did this start becoming a pattern??
    If after 2 weeks old, I bet it's reflux.
    My pediatrician says that colic usually does not set in after 2 weeks old. So by 2 weeks you should be noticing a significant pattern of fussiness that usually occurs that same time a day.
    I bet it's reflux or something in the milk giving him gas. Just dont speak that C word over him!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. o goodness.... he was an ANGEL when we babysat.... hard to believe he acts like that when no visitors are around... poor things.. hope it gets better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes, bless yall's hearts! My sister's baby is/was colicky/refluxy and (for her sake and yours) I wish she had found something that worked for little Madison, but no luck yet. I'm definitely adding you to my prayer list though...At least you know that it WILL get better eventually!

    ReplyDelete

all materials published on this blog
© by Natalie at create.live.design, 2007-2012