9.27.2014

The Day I Ate, and Enjoyed, Brussels Sprouts

Meet my childhood nemesis:


The brussels sprout

I can remember the times my mom made them during my childhood and it was all I could do not to GAG my way out of the dining room.  Serious drama.

Somehow, much to my surprise and dismay, this disastrous vegetable seems to have made a comeback over the past few years.  I hear friends and family stating how they "looove" them and cook them "sooooo" many different ways and how they are their "faaaaavorite" {obvious exaggeration I say}.  I still kind of turn up my nose to it all but admit I am intrigued.

So as I usually do in these situations: I use my husband as a guinea pig.  And as we both love kale, and kale salad, when I saw this recipe on Pinterest I knew it was how we must try this infamous tiny cabbage.



D E L I C I O U S

There are no other words.  I think the brussels and I have taken the first tiny baby step toward reconciliation and I sense the possibility of a long and happy future together.  I would love to try some sort of roasting technique with them next, as that is hands down my favorite way to prepare vegetables.  But for now I am sold on this salad and will be adding it to our regular rotation and I encourage you to as well!  Amazing.


Brussels Sprouts and Kale Salad

Ingredients:
- 2 T lemon juice
- 1 T dijon mustard
- 1 t minced shallot or onion
- 1 minced garlic clove
- pinch of kosher salt
- pinch black pepper
- 1/4 c extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 c thinly sliced kale leaves
- 1 lb brussels sprouts, finely shredded
- 3-4 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1/4 c roasted almonds, chopped
- 1/2 c parmesan cheese

Directions:
Combine first seven ingredients, through evoo, in a small bowl and whisk to combine.  In a larger bowl combine the remaining ingredients.  Toss with dressing and serve. {Serves 3-4}

This would be perfect for entertaining.  It's relatively simple but the flavors are complex = party in your mouth.

I served it with a stuffed pork tenderloin that I will also be sharing the recipe for soon!

recipe based off this

4 comments:

  1. That sounds delicious! I will have to add to my fall repertoire!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must try this. I roast Brussels sprouts but others in the house turn up their nose...maybe raw is the answer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this yesterday for lunch...it is amazing. One of my new favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i made this tonight and ben and i both loved it. Actually didnt get recipe from your blog- rachel gave it to me a while back! I highly recommend putting kale and brussel sprouts in your cousine art to chop them up really small. :)

    ReplyDelete

all materials published on this blog
© by Natalie at create.live.design, 2007-2012