8.16.2014

RECIPE :: Homemade Healthy Fruit Snacks

photo 2-2

Did I mention they ACTUALLY TASTE GOOD?

Cause they do!

I made my first batch of these earlier this summer and while, on first bite, they tasted "good"...after we continued through the batch they just got a little...nasty - I figured out it was the raspberries mixed in with the strawberries and the gelatin didn't smoothly dissolve as much as desired.  I knew there was potential here and the idea inspired me so I wanted to wait until the recipe was spot on before I shared it.

So here you go!

First, you need to order gelatin:


Here is where I purchased it.
These kinds of "health" foods don't freak me out like I know they do to some people, so if you would like to read up about it before purchasing here is some good information HERE.

And here is my amended recipe:

2 1/2 - 3 cups strawberries {I used frozen, could definitely use fresh}
1/4 c lemon juice
1/4 c orange juice
2 T honey
1/2 c gelatin

Combine strawberries, lemon juice, and orange juice in a saucepan with high sides.  Simmer until fruit is soft.  Add 2 T honey.


Remove from heat.
Using immersion blender, blend mixture until smooth.


Let mixture cool for around 5 minutes.

Slowly, very slowly, add gelatin a little at a time, whisking to completely incorporate.
** This is a very important step: the powder must be added slowly, in small batches, and whisked the entire time to make sure it is smooth **

Once all the gelatin is incorporated pour into 9x13 dish {or fun little molds} and let chill in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.  Cut into little squares and enjoy!


You can store at room temperature but we prefer them chilled :)

photo 2-2

Notes:  Next time I will try blueberries or blueberries + strawberries.  I do NOT recommend blackberries or raspberries, as the bitterness and seeds don't give very good results.  Also, I have tried it with just OJ and prefer it with the lemon juice and OJ mixture.  It doesn't have to be exact on the ratios.  Just make sure there is 1/2 cup of the juice, however you want to mix it.  You can also pour mixture into a blender to combine vs using an immersion blender.  If you use the hand held kind just make sure the saucepan has high enough sides that you don't spray hot red dots all over your kitchen {been there done that}.


No comments:

Post a Comment

all materials published on this blog
© by Natalie at create.live.design, 2007-2012